PCOS

I realize that I mention PCOS but I don't really explain what it is.

PCOS is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. You can look it up online. Whatever you see though, does not apply to me at all. :) I am neither overweight or pimple-filled or have any masculine qualities but I do have irregular periods (my cycles would last from 35-47 days!) And that is precisely the reason why in February 2009, my doctor asked me to get an ultrasound.

So here was my doctor's explanation - PCOS means that you have numerous harmless cysts surrounding your ovaries. This can either delay ovulation or prevent ovulation totally. It can only be tracked and verified via ultrasound and medication is trial-and-error, because the same medicines do not work for every woman. However, there are a number of medicines/treatments available.

First they tried progesterone for 3 months with me, which didn't have any effect. Next though, they tried an insulin-regulating medicine, which kind of worked (it cleared one ovary) after a month. So after, they tried another insulin-regulating medicine which not only worked, I also got pregnant. Unfortunately, that last medicine made me gain weight. After researching online, I found that it was indeed a side effect. Now, that precise medicine is under investigation in the States for causing thousands of cardiac arrests (thank God I didn't take it for long!!)

So you may wonder why an insulin-regulating medicine? No I don't have diabetes (although it runs in the family) but apparently, PCOS can be caused by insulin resistance as well. With my body responding to insulin-regulating medicines, I can only take that to mean my cells cannot process insulin effectively. Or not, I don't really know.

My doctor was saying that because there really is no apparent cause for PCOS in a lot of women women, this may have something to do with our lifestyles now - being under constant stress, maybe even diet. She says that there are more women with PCOS now than ever. :p No exact studies though. All I know is part of her recommendations for me was to lessen stress (which is why I took a break from advertising).

So if you feel like you may have PCOS (from your super irregular periods), I would suggest making a visit to the doctor. Apparently, I am one of those lucky ones who got treated pretty quickly. It takes a while for some women. If you plan to have children soon, it may be good to check as soon as you can. :)

Comments

Popular Posts