Gestational Diabetes

So it was confirmed today by an endocrinologist recommended by my ob-gyn that I do have gestational diabetes. :p After checking my test results and putting them against the normal values for pregnant women, it was found that my values were okay during fasting and two hours after the glucose solution, it was pretty high after the first hour.

Apparently, you only need for one of them to be high and you qualify for gestational diabetes.

So after there, we went to the Diabetes Clinic in Makati Med, got a schedule for a one-on-one session with dietitian tomorrow to teach me about my diet. We also got a blood sugar testing kit (like the one my lola has! but a different model, which is more sensitive so good for pregnant women) because I will need to test my blood sugar twice a day, every day at specific times. I will also be confined to a 2000 calorie diet spread out in 6 meals - 3 main meals and 3 snacks. After a week, we'll go back to the endocrinologist to see how the diet has affected my blood sugar levels. The goal is not to go into insulin shots (well that's the goal for me), I want to manage this strictly by diet.

I've always been pretty good with strict diets (I went through a very strict low-cholesterol diet already) and did pretty well at that so I'm not too apprehensive about this one. I just keep thinking about all those sweet things I must give up completely (yes I know that it's not just sweet things that can up your blood sugar, but other stuff like carbs, etc are also still going to be part of my diet - quantities of which I'll find out tom) which right now all look very very enticing. I'm telling you, I already miss Coke. :p Plus I keep thinking about the stuff I actually like to eat - I already have a list of questions to ask. Haha.

But you know, as my mom says, I will do anything for this pregnancy and baby girl. So if that's what it takes, I won't even feel bad. I'm actually looking forward to the one-on-one with the dietitian tomorrow.

As for what this may mean for the baby - the doctor says that good management will ensure that our baby does not get too large which may lead to complications later on. Plus, good management now means I may be able to get rid of it and not carry the diabetes over after pregnancy. As she said, "you seriously have to manage it, but there's nothing to seriously worry about". I wasn't worried much about me, mind you, I was worried about the baby.

Well, I know that good management is key. What my doctor said plus the stuff I researched online has eased my worries. I will do well by this.

-==-

As we were leaving Makati Med earlier, I had to just ask Reg - why can't things just be simple with me? Why must things always have to be interesting? I hope that this is the last thing of this sort that we'll have to deal with. Peaceful three months please! Please! Thank you, God. :)

Comments

Popular Posts