A first: Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)

Last Friday started out ok enough for me. I was feeling a bit weird in my tummy but I figured it was just one of those usual things ("usual" now for me, because going to the bathroom has been difficult since this pregnancy started. Sorry, TMI). It felt better during the day but dinnertime came and I had to wait for Reg to finish so I was famished by the time we arrived at the restaurant. Whenever I don't eat right away, my tummy ends up feeling weird even after eating so I chalked it up to that.

We arrived home, played with Tala and put her to bed and I went through my bedtime routine. When I was done in the bathroom, I laid down and I realised that the weird feeling in my stomach was actually concentrated on my lower abdomen. Not only that, it was constant. I observed and noted that my tummy wasn't hardening, it definitely wasn't contractions (it wasn't on and off) and baby was moving and kicking around at exactly the same time this was happening. I started to think if this was cause to go to the hospital. After discussing with Reg, I texted my doctor AND my parents.

The doc actually said to go to the delivery room if the pain persists but we didn't really wait. We ended up just going. I was getting quite uncomfortable and I already knew it was going to persist. Plus, I was freaking out already because I had never felt anything like it before.

So we arrived at Makati Med at about 1230am. They did all the fetal checks (baby was ok!) and I got a urinalysis. So after about 2-3 hours of waiting, the results were in with my doctor's prescription. Yup, it was UTI. I've never had it before so I had no idea it could hurt so badly. Also, I thought it should hurt when you pee (I didn't feel that) but for pregnant women (well, at least according to the pregnancy sites), the lower abdomen constant pain was a symptom for it.

So we finally were discharged at about 430 and got home slightly before 5am. I spent Saturday laying in bed trying to catch up on sleep. I also started on medication. By about 6pm, I felt relief. No more pain and there hasn't been any since then. Now I'm drinking loads of water and halfway through my prescription. I hope the next test I get shows I'm all clear. I'm due back to the doctor on Friday.

Well, talk about the differences in pregnancy! You really do go through different things each time. Just glad we were able to go right away and get a prescription. Any pain near the baby just really freaks me out. I hope that is the last time we'll have to be in the delivery room until it's time to give birth!

Comments

Popular Posts