24 weeks and circumcision (i know, i know, no connection)

We are now 24 weeks! 6 months! I say it often and I can't say it enough -- it's really going by so fast. I really have to thank my work for that.

My sore calves are getting better. After one day of them extremely painful, I got a reprieve the day after. I am just stiff when I get up from lying down (like when I go to the bathroom in the middle of the night) and I have to shuffle until my calves loosen up. What's new is that I woke up the other day with what-felt-like a pulled vein in my inner left thigh. It was nothing like I've ever felt before. I literally could not lift my leg 90 degrees so going up steps was painful. Getting out of the car was painful. Turning over to my right side while lying down and moving my left leg over my right was painful. Reg said that the other night, I was moaning in my sleep. I know that even in my sleep, I thought it was painful and annoying!

Anyway, again, yesterday was the worst and today I woke up and the pain was nearly gone. I can move my leg now, thank God. Only now, my left shoulder feels sore because I've been sleeping on my left side (as recommended) and sleeping on my right with that pinched vein was painful :p

I don't remember feeling any of this while I was pregnant with Tala! Really something different each time. You know, just to keep you on your toes.

-==-

When I was at the doctor's last week, we also discussed when we'd like to have baby boy circumcised. If you're not Filipino and reading this, I would just like to note that all our boys are circumcised :) Tradition states right when they are pre-teen (usually around 10 or 11) and during the summer break. Now, more and more people are considering getting it done while the boys are still newborns.

Up until my conversation with the doctor, we were actually undecided. We were feeling bad subjecting a newborn to such pain and wondering if there was merit to make our boy go through rite of passage.

Well, our doctor said that she recommended doing it while they're newborns because apparently, newborns don't really have a concept of pain. They cry because they don't like being touched. Also, they will never remember the pain, if they do recognize that it is. Also, they have no sutures. And when you get it done while still at the hospital, you only have a few more days of recovery left by the time you get home. Plus, my doctor told me about her nephews who are now 10 and 11 who literally break down when they are told that the time to get it done is fast approaching. Now their parents are asking if it's possible to sedate them just so they can get it over with :p Well, I guess starting off your summer in pain isn't the best way to start your break from school. haha!

Well, she didn't have to convince us that much. We're getting it done while he's a newborn (sorry baby).

How funny is that? When we were pregnant with Tala, all we had to decide was whether to get her ears pierced while we were in the hospital. Actually, we didn't even really have to decide, I already knew. We just chose her first earrings haha :p

Comments

Unknown said…
Please, please don't subject your baby to circumcision. It is a fundamental violation of human rights. Circumcision removes the most sensitive part of the penis. I am circumcised and I had no choice in the matter. There is no other surgery that's done for non-medical reasons. I really wish the best for you and your (intact) baby! Please take the whole baby home!
kaye said…
Hello Top Quark, thanks for commenting.

I know that this is a highly personal decision - and in our culture, it's really almost a given. Rest assured though, that aside from culture, I also went through my research about the medical benefits and I find that the good outweighs the "loss" :) My baby's father is circumcised and has no problems being so, and I will know our baby boy wouldn't mind it as well as he will be growing up in a society that does not frown upon this.

Finally, I hope you don't mind that I don't share your opinion that my baby will be "incomplete" if this procedure is done. I think that is an unfair thought to share at this point actually, to a pregnant woman who just wants a happy, normal and completely developed baby (and as supported by our congenital scan) at the end of this pregnancy.

I firmly believe that each of us has our own beliefs, and we are free to follow that as we please :) So I hope you won't take my views personally.

Thank you though, for sharing yours.

Popular Posts