Low Potassium and Sodium Levels

Last Friday, I woke up with tingling sensations on my fingertips and the sides of my face. The side of my face was not so bad but the tingling sensation on my fingertips was so strong that I had a hard time messaging using my phone.

I called my nephrologist because he once told me that if I felt this way, we may be having a problem with my sodium and potassium levels again but he was out of the country so I texted my OB instead. He asked me to get a blood test to check my sodium and potassium and to see him Saturday. So that's what I did. Got tested Friday at lunchtime then saw him on Saturday.

In the meantime, I drank as much from a Gatorade bottle as I could.

Checked my results online on Friday night and saw that I was barely passing the lowest level of the normal range. :(

Saturday came and the doc told me that it meant by electrolytes were low. He asked me to try to eat as much potassium first as I could (I researched: the ones I like are bananas and potatoes) and to try to eat more salt (when are you ever told that?!) He also gave me Polynerv because it could also be nerves and a vitamin B12 shot to just bolster everything.

Last night, I had tingling sensations again on my face. It came right when I was trying to fall asleep so I ended up not being able to sleep first because I was worried and panicked :( This morning, I drank some Pine Orange juice (it had a lot of sodium! Also, according to research). I will try to eat a banana everyday. In the meantime, I wait til my nephrologist comes back so I can see what else I can do. I really do not want to get sick again like last time.

-==-

In other, happier news, baby girl was very malikot this morning and I now realised that I can spot her movements in my tummy! I was only able to feel it before but now I can see the kicks (or is it punches?) I also noticed this morning that the movements were now coming from mostly on the upper half of my tummy so I hope this means she has turned too.

I think we went through a growth spurt. I feel bigger. And I am not kidding when I say it seems as though I suddenly have nothing to wear. I woke up a few times last night because my back was aching and I was not sure how to lie down. Walking around means an aching back and my feet are picky with shoes already (I'd wear slippers the entire time if I could).

That's ok though, growing is good. We are at the last week of August. Have about three or so months before we meet baby girl personally. We all can't wait. :)

Also, Tala and I can't wait to go baby stuff shopping! Haha :)

Comments

Popular Posts